With brushed nickel and oil rubbed bronze finishes being the new norm in decorating, many homeowners look at their
outdated, brassy cabinet hardware with embarrassment. Since updating cabinet hardware can quickly become pricey depending on the number of pulls that need replacing, refinishing the old metal cabinet pulls is an economical option. Change the finish on outdated cabinet pulls by using just a few inexpensive and easy-to-find items and radically transform the entire look of the room in the process.
- 1. Soak the cabinet pulls in a bucket of warm water mixed with a mild dish detergent. Let the pulls soak for five
to 10 minutes before using a toothbrush to gently scrub each pull, making sure all grease and grit are removed.
Rinse each piece and dry thoroughly with a clean cloth.
- 2. Rub steel wool on the surface of each pull to remove any leftover grime. Sanding with steel wool will also rough
up the smooth texture and allow it to accept the paint more sufficiently. Wipe each pull with a damp cotton cloth
to remove any sanding dust, paying careful attention to any cracks or crevices.
- 3. Poke finishing nails or roofing nails into an old piece of cardboard, placing them far enough from one another
so the pulls won't touch each other once they are inserted on top. Place the pulls over the nails and move the
cardboard to a well-ventilated area.
- 4. Spray an even coat of metal primer on the hardware. Look closely for any drips and remove them while still wet
with your finger. Allow the primer to dry completely.
- 5. Spray the paint on the cabinet pulls using smooth, even strokes. Allow the paint to fully dry, approximately one
hour, before applying a second coat for more durability. Let the pulls dry thoroughly before reattaching to the
Things You Will Need
- Mild dish detergent
- Old toothbrush
- Steel wool
- Clean cotton cloth
- Finishing nails
- Spray primer made for metal surfaces
- Spray paint made for metal or outdoor furniture
PS: This article is from network.
Tags: Refinish Metal Cabinet Pulls, Metal Cabinet Pulls, Cabinet Pulls, Cabinet Hardware